Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Using IOD Moulds to make everything more beautiful.
This project is a class we teach so that folks can get a first hand knowledge of working with the moulds and clay. Because you can’t take our class, this post will be a diy tutorial to make your own shabby chic picture frame using iod moulds.
Picture frame with good size flat surface and paintable surface.
Paint -We used Annie Sloan® Chalk Paint
Waxes- Clear wax and antique wax
1. Clean your picture frame if it isn’t raw wood My husband makes ours so we have a 3″ wide border to decorate.
2. Get out your moulds and decide on your design-For this frame I used 3 different moulds.Large Fleurish, Mouldings I, and Fleurs
Check out this video from the mould creators!
3. Make your embellishments and glue them on while still wet If you are using air-dry clay the shrinkage is minimum-Paper clay shrinks a bit more and gives the deep cracks that make it look like an authentic vintage piece.
4. Let the moulds dry on the frame overnight checking to make sure they are staying stuck to the surface [In the class we can’t do this so we go ahead and paint the frame and moulds and let it dry later]
5. Paint your piece and let the paint dry
This frame makes such a wonderful gift! I surprised my son with his wedding picture in mine. He loved it!
We are patiently awaiting the NEW IOD moulds from Iron Orchid Designs which should all be here by the end of the year.
You can still get some of the older designs on Amazon while they still have stock. We are an Amazon Affiliate so if you purchase these items from a link on our website we receive a small percentage. This doesn’t change the price you would pay, it is just a way for us to make a small amount on our blog and recommend the products we use.