Today I am using Fusion Mineral Paint in my clock class and I am the only student. I’ve been teaching clock classes for over 2 months now and there are no two clocks alike ever. I must say I love them all. The clocks we have made thus far have all been painted with Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint. It’s time to change it up and use our Fusion Mineral Paint Products for this Old World Clock DIY.
I knew the look I was going for, an old world clock in a cream color with a french stencil in the middle. I wanted lots and lots of texture with deep cracks and crevices.
Here are the products I used:
Fusion Mineral Paint colors : Ash, Bedford and a custom color of 1/2 Buttermilk Cream and 1/2 Limestone. [I think you could have used the sample paints and had enough.] Fusion Fresco, Fusion Antiquing Glaze and Fusion Furniture Wax.
1. PAINT: Paint the background color on the clock round. In this case I painted it Fusion Mineral Paint Ash. Let it dry. 2. RESIST: Use a bit of fusion Mineral paint Bees Wax finish along the edges and here and there as a resist. This way I will be able to sand back to the black after the whole thing is done. I actually just rub it on with my fingers.
3. FRESCO: Mix up the Fusion Fresco into the custom paint color which is a 50% limestone and 50% Buttermilk Cream. Mix just enough so it is like cottage cheese. Kinda funky I know.4. APPLY FRESCO: Paint it on or use a palette knife and layer it randomly so it looks really like 50 layers of paint. I was a bit impatient here after I applied the Fusion Fresco, I dried it with a blow dryer to hurry it along.5. CONTRAST: Next I randomly painted some Fusion Bedford where I wanted more gray color.
6. DISTRESS: Let it dry and then sand it back to where I liked the look. I even used the palette knife to take off a few chunks down to the original finish
7. STENCIL: Stencil the center design and then stencil the clock face .8. DISTRESS: Lightly sand the stenciled designs to match the look of the clock9. TOPCOAT: Apply Antiquing Glaze filling in the cracks and crevices to get an aged look. Love that Fresco Aged Look! Let the glaze dry overnight and then apply furniture wax. Buff
10. MAKE IT WORK: Put the clock mechanics on the clock and a way to hang it and hang your clock all done. Enjoy!
The stencils and all the other products are available from our shop. The stencils aren’t on the website yet so you would have to contact us through the contact page. The 24″ clock rounds are available at Home Depot and Lowes as tabletops.